Dear flashrom contributors,
you might have noticed that there hasn't been a release of flashrom in the past 1.5 years. That doesn't mean that there wasn't any progress, though. Development has continued and some patches were merged into a common branch . Alas, not in the `stable` branch of the official repository. I'd rather not discuss now, why (it's complicated).
As the original plan was to have two separate branches `stable` and `staging` anyway  and we finally got the first commit for `stable` together (which was stalling the branch), I thought it would be a good idea to move the already baked and tested commits from `staging` to `stable`.
Sadly, even this got stalled again. Plus, there is doubt if the two branches model is feasible at all:
* How to maintain patch compatibility between them? * Should everything be first submitted to `staging`? * If not, who'd be allowed to decide to push directly to `stable` and why? * ...
So I propose the following: Forget the two branches model, start a `master` branch with either the current state of `staging` or my proposed move to `stable`  and release flashrom-1.0 right away.
Submission to the current `staging` branch took place within core- boot's Gerrit infrastructure. As for myself, I would like to con- tinue that for any flashrom branch. IMO, it works reasonably well to work on a branch together. Though, I know that not everybody is happy with Gerrit and am open for anything else that doesn't incur a bottleneck.
 `staging` on https://review.coreboot.org/cgit/flashrom.git
 The result if somebody submits the following patch queue: