[OpenBIOS] Solaris anyone?

Mark Cave-Ayland mark.cave-ayland at siriusit.co.uk
Sat Apr 23 15:55:19 CEST 2011

On 22/04/11 20:58, Nick Couchman wrote:

> Thanks, again, Mark - this is fantastic!
>
> After booting the install successfully from the Solaris ISO/CDROM and
> getting through the initial configuration (on both Solaris 8 and 9), the
> install fails trying to label the hard drive.  First, I see the
> following during the installer boot:
>
> WARNING: /iommu at 0,10000000/sbus at 0,10001000/espdma at 5,8400000/esp at 5,8800000/sd at 0,0 (sd0):
> 	corrupt label - wrong magic number
>

> Then, after doing the system identification, I get the following:
>
>          One or more disks are found, but one of the
>          following problems exists:
>
>           >  Hardware failure
>
>           >  Unformatted disk.
>
> At which point I get dropped to a shell.  If I try to use the format
> command from the shell, format cannot auto-configure the disk.  Even if
> I try manually setting C/H/S parameters (either at qemu run time or in
> the format command), it does not seem to want to use the disk.  This
> seems to happen whether I'm using an LVM volume or a file-based disk.
> Also, seems as though all changes are lost on the disk when I exit
> format and then immediately go back in.
>
> Ideas?  Any further help/input/debugging I could provide?

Hi Nick,

Thanks again for testing this. The issue with Solaris not detecting the
disks is a known one - the following guide should point you in the right
direction:

http://virtuallyfun.blogspot.com/2010/10/formatting-disks-for-solaris.html

Also don't forget the "set scsi_options" part from Artyom's SPARC/QEMU
howto here: http://tyom.blogspot.com/2009/12/solaris-under-qemu-how-to.html

I think it may actually be possible to come up with a patch for OpenBIOS
so that the scsi_options change isn't required - let me know how you get
on with the above links, and if it all seems to work I'll look at
creating the patch for you.