[OpenBIOS] Solaris anyone?

Nick Couchman Nick.Couchman at seakr.com
Fri Apr 22 21:58:59 CEST 2011

On Fri, 2011-04-22 at 08:08 +0100, Mark Cave-Ayland wrote:
> With my previously posted patched applied:
>

> Wow. All I can say is thank you so much to everyone who helped me get
> this far - in particular Blue, Artyom and Tarl. Does anyone know if we
> are the first non-Sun firmware to be able to boot a Solaris kernel?
>
> Blue - I think you owe me that 1.1 release soon!
>

> Happy Easter everyone!
>
> Mark.

Thanks, again, Mark - this is fantastic!

After booting the install successfully from the Solaris ISO/CDROM and
getting through the initial configuration (on both Solaris 8 and 9), the
install fails trying to label the hard drive.  First, I see the
following during the installer boot:

WARNING: /iommu at 0,10000000/sbus at 0,10001000/espdma at 5,8400000/esp at 5,8800000/sd at 0,0 (sd0):
	corrupt label - wrong magic number

Then, after doing the system identification, I get the following:

        One or more disks are found, but one of the
        following problems exists:

         > Hardware failure

         > Unformatted disk.

At which point I get dropped to a shell.  If I try to use the format
command from the shell, format cannot auto-configure the disk.  Even if
I try manually setting C/H/S parameters (either at qemu run time or in
the format command), it does not seem to want to use the disk.  This
seems to happen whether I'm using an LVM volume or a file-based disk.
Also, seems as though all changes are lost on the disk when I exit
format and then immediately go back in.

Ideas?  Any further help/input/debugging I could provide?

-Nick

--------
This e-mail may contain confidential and privileged material for the sole use of the intended recipient.  If this email is not intended for you, or you are not responsible for the delivery of this message to the intended recipient, please note that this message may contain SEAKR Engineering (SEAKR) Privileged/Proprietary Information.  In such a case, you are strictly prohibited from downloading, photocopying, distributing or otherwise using this message, its contents or attachments in any way.  If you have received this message in error, please notify us immediately by replying to this e-mail and delete the message from your mailbox.  Information contained in this message that does not relate to the business of SEAKR is neither endorsed by nor attributable to SEAKR.