[OpenBIOS] Re: uniFLASH, EEPROM vs. Flash

Darran D. Rimron darran at rimron.co.uk
Wed Mar 24 15:22:44 CET 1999

>> For a total novice, get Slackware, it's much nicer for new users than
>> Red Hat. I see people trying Red Hat, hating it, then trying Slackware
>> and loving it.
> Can you briefly tell me why???
> What are the key differences?

RPMs and FS layout (most applications that are pre-compiled are designed for
RedHat systems)

I'm the other way round on this one.... RedHat over Slackware (Debian over
RedHat mind you)

> I have tried Slackware (InfoMagic) back in late 1995, but didn't find
> it very satisfying. Have they improved that much?

IMHO, no.

> Why doesn't someone write windows95 clone for Linux, from
> installation, to the user interface? Is it that hard to do?
> User friendliness is just about the only thing Micro$oft have got
> right I think, and that contribution should not be discarded, but
> copied and further improved by Linux.

It's called QVWM if you want it - a window manager for X. Not seen anything
that even comes close otherwise. Nothing much installerwise.  RedHat5.2 has
the "nicest" installer I've ever seen for Linux mind you... now they fixed
it :-)

	-Darran

Darran D. Rimron                              darran at rimron.co.uk
Mobile: +44 7808 49 25 49                  Pager: +44 76543 07647
Rimron Design & Consultancy              http://www.rimron.co.uk/
Phone: +44 1708 766 959                     Fax: +44 1708 766 959

-
To Unsubscribe: send mail to majordomo at freiburg.linux.de
with "unsubscribe openbios" in the body of the message