[OpenBIOS] Re: uniFLASH, EEPROM vs. Flash

James Oakley jfunk at roadrunner.nf.net
Fri Mar 26 01:21:06 CET 1999

alex dinovitser wrote:

> I have had a little bit of a dabble with linux, but I don't find such
> user-friendly applications like under Window$.
> I can't even get GIMP to work for some reason.

It is confusing for win users, the way I see it though is that windows
looks easy to use at first, but really isn't. Unix looks hard to use,
has a bit of a learning curve, but is easy to use once you're used to
it. You can do a helluva lot more on a command line than you could with
80 mouse clicks.

The GIMP *will* work if you install Slackware, it is included in the
distribution.

Debian is also very nice but I still have some beefs with it. The
package manager should list available programs hierarchially instead of
giving you a giant list (I spent 2 hours going through it). They also
make a big deal out of kernel recompiles (which I do a lot of). Were it
not for those two things, Debian would be the one.

We should probably end this distribution discussion before it becomes an
advocacy war and focus on OpenBIOS issues. This is my last post on the
subject, try all of the distributions and stick with what's
comfortable... Watch out for Corel's upcoming one.

> Thanks for that idea, I will try tcltutor. Any good websites for
> learning tcl/tk??

www.tcltk.com is pretty good. A good book will get you very far in a
hurry though, check out the O'Reilly ones.

> Can you briefly tell me why???
> What are the key differences?

Low maintenance, doesn't try to look like windows, etc...

It i sup to the end user though, I prefer wading through configuration
files than clicking icons.

> Why doesn't someone write windows95 clone for Linux, from
> installation, to the user interface? Is it that hard to do?
> User friendliness is just about the only thing Micro$oft have got
> right I think, and that contribution should not be discarded, but
> copied and further improved by Linux.

You might want to try GNOME (www.gnome.org)

Slackware install is fairly painless though, read the docs, there will
be no surprises.

--
James Oakley
jfunk at roadrunner.nf.net
-
To Unsubscribe: send mail to majordomo at freiburg.linux.de
with "unsubscribe openbios" in the body of the message