[flashrom] Future flashrom development

Stefan Tauner stefan.tauner at gmx.at
Mon Oct 23 08:34:35 CEST 2017

On Fri, 13 Oct 2017 17:58:05 +0200
Antonio Ospite <ao2 at ao2.it> wrote:

> FWIW I too am in favor of a more "usual" branching model.
>
> Besides, git users kind of expect "master" to be the development branch
> with all that this entails: e.g. no hard promises on stability,
> possible risk of regressions compared to the latest tagged release.

flashrom gets compiled by people not knowing what git or master even
is following some random tutorial on the internet.
The whole purpose of having no master branch is to make everyone aware
of the different behavior of the two main branches. For some (including
those working with external programmers) staging is fine, for others
(e.g. newbies updating their firmware via -p internal for the first
time, package maintainers and other rather conservatives) stable is the
way to go.

> Tags and versioned branches can be used to track and support stable
> releases long term, and wild experiments can still be done in topic
> branches, can't they?

Topic branches are a pita in gerrit and get only tested by those
interested in the respective feature. Getting such changes into staging
would get by far more tested in the wild.