[flashrom] Future flashrom development

Antonio Ospite ao2 at ao2.it
Fri Oct 13 17:58:05 CEST 2017

On Fri, 13 Oct 2017 08:01:00 +0200
Peter Lemenkov <lemenkov at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello Nico,

> > So I propose the following: Forget the two branches model, start
> > a `master` branch with either the current state of `staging` or
> > my proposed move to `stable` [3] and release flashrom-1.0 right
> > away.
>
> I believe staging/devel/etc branches in projects managed with git are
> usually a troublesome legacy from old CVS/SVN days where
> branching/tagging and patch management were expensive. They shouldn't
> have even copied into Git repositores at all. Also flashrom
> historically has a very flat and straightforward development model, so
> why making two branches at all?
>
> From the package maintainer's point of view it would be easier and
> simpler from if flashrom just have one single monotonically increasing
> branch (master?) with tags applied to some commits eventually (I
> prefer more frequent tagging though), rather than two branches where
> the purpose of one is to be blindly merged into another.

FWIW I too am in favor of a more "usual" branching model.

Besides, git users kind of expect "master" to be the development branch
with all that this entails: e.g. no hard promises on stability,
possible risk of regressions compared to the latest tagged release.

Tags and versioned branches can be used to track and support stable
releases long term, and wild experiments can still be done in topic
branches, can't they?

Ciao,
   Antonio

--