[flashrom] Future flashrom development

David Hendricks david.hendricks at gmail.com
Fri Oct 13 19:18:12 CEST 2017

On Fri, Oct 13, 2017 at 11:42 PM, Nico Huber <nico.h at gmx.de> wrote:

> On 13.10.2017 02:40, Nico Huber wrote:
>
>> So I propose the following: Forget the two branches model, start
>> a `master` branch with either the current state of `staging` or
>> my proposed move to `stable` [3] and release flashrom-1.0 right
>> away.
>>

> What I didn't realize last night: the `staging` branch contains
> valuable information in lots of fixup! commits that would be lost
> if we don't keep `staging`. They look ugly in the log but their
> messages still contain some reasoning about the changes. I prefer
> to use the current `staging` branch as `master` therefore.

I'm fine with that.

I think Peter's suggestions are worth further consideration as well. As he
pointed out, Flashrom has always been pretty simple and flat, and tags seem
like a good way to do releases without the difficulties we've experienced
with multiple branches.

Your idea to do release branches is fine, too. So long as we have something
that is low-overhead, less bottlenecked, and won't cause as much friction
moving forward.

> And I'm convinced that `staging` is in better shape than flashrom-0.9.9.

This is somewhat subjective, but I agree largely due to the libflashrom and
layout patches. And aside from code quality `staging` also has features and
hardware support (either merged or pending) that I need to do work.