[flashrom] ASUS M2N-MX board enable needed?

Márton Miklós martonmiklosqdev at gmail.com
Fri Mar 13 20:02:17 CET 2015

>> On Tue, 10 Mar 2015 00:24:20 +0100
>> Márton Miklós<martonmiklosqdev at gmail.com>  wrote:
>>
>>> Hello all,
>>>
>>> I have tried to flash an Asus M2N-MX board, and it failed (if I think it
>>> well it needs board enable patch).
>>> The chip is a SST49LF040B as the flashrom detected. (Checked physically)
>>>
>>> Product page can be found here:
>>> http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/M2NMX/
>>>
>>> Latest BIOS can be found here:
>>> http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/socketAM2/M2N-MX/M2NX1004.zip
>>>
>>> I have forgotten to save lspci and superiotool logs, let me know if it
>>> needed.
>>>
>>> Thank you for your help in advance!
>>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> yes indeed it needs a board enable and we tried (unsuccessfully) to come
>> up with one:http://patchwork.coreboot.org/patch/3710/
>>
>> The pipermail link mentioned in the patch has changed since then. It
>> should be
>> http://www.flashrom.org/pipermail/flashrom/2010-February/002279.html
>> I can not remember what we tried... maybe it is only a matter of
>> changing "raise" to "lower" or we got the wrong gpio pin... I don't
>> know. Feel free to play around/reverse engineer and please report back
>> any findings ;)

Hallo Stefan,

I have tried out it8712f_gpio31_raise patch, but it did not worked. I
have measured the #TBL pin voltage, and it was pulled to GND during my
trials.
As a brute force attempt I have added a loop to go through the GPIOs
from 1 to 63 during the board enable, but as I have seen there are
multiple checks to prevent doing something silly with those pins. This
attempt was neither lead to success.

I had to give the board back to the owner, but I might have access to it
in the future.

Lately I had an idea that I will use a DMM (digital multi meter) in
continuity measurement mode and probe through the superio pins  and the
#TBL pin.

Regards,
Miklós Márton