[flashrom] Gmail's blocking flashrom mails

John Lewis jlewis at johnlewis.ie
Sun Jan 18 10:58:10 CET 2015

Hi Stefan,

On 18/01/15 08:45, Stefan Tauner wrote:
> On Sat, 17 Jan 2015 21:13:57 -0800
> Svetoslav Trochev <svetoslav.trochev at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi Stefan,
>>
>> Could you please explain a bit more the issue. I have been receiving
>> flashrom mails just fine ( and I have free gmail account). Once on a while
>> some of the e-mails would be marked as suspected spam. The most often this
>> happens on mail originated from East Europe. Are we are talking about those
>> e-mails, or entirely different issue?
>
> Yes. Your and the subscriptions of all others directly addressed has
> been disabled because too many emails were not accepted by gmail. I am
> not 100% sure if that was just some kind of greylisting and gmail did
> accept the mails eventually, but it did report a permanent failure back
> to our mail server. This looks as follows:
>
>      SMTP error from remote mail server after end of data:
>      host gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com [2a00:1450:4013:c00::1a]:
>      550-5.7.1 [2001:470:9f5b::25      12] Our system has detected that this message
>      550-5.7.1 is likely unsolicited mail. To reduce the amount of spam sent to
>      550-5.7.1 Gmail, this message has been blocked. Please visit
>      550-5.7.1 http://support.google.com/mail/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=188131 for
>      550 5.7.1 more information. s3si2581668wjx.75 - gsmtp
>
> If mailman (the mailing list software) gets too many of those for a
> certain subscriber address then it automatically unsubscribes the
> recipient because it does expect this to be permanent.
>
> There are some things we could change on the mail server to mitigate it
> as I wrote before, but it seems that nothing really works and it is
> rather a race between gmail demanding senders to jump through further
> hoops and the senders implementing that. I am not too familiar with
> mail and DNS servers though. If you want more technical details I can
> ask Patrick to respond.

Well, https://support.google.com/mail/answer/81126?hl=en suggests using
the same IP's, having reverse DNS records set up, and also use something
like DKIM. I can see by DNS lookup that you don't have a DKIM TXT
record. DKIM would be my recommendation, rather than telling people they
can't use Gmail.

John.