[flashrom] Gmail's blocking flashrom mails

Stefan Tauner stefan.tauner at alumni.tuwien.ac.at
Sun Jan 18 09:45:45 CET 2015

On Sat, 17 Jan 2015 21:13:57 -0800
Svetoslav Trochev <svetoslav.trochev at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Stefan,
>
> Could you please explain a bit more the issue. I have been receiving
> flashrom mails just fine ( and I have free gmail account). Once on a while
> some of the e-mails would be marked as suspected spam. The most often this
> happens on mail originated from East Europe. Are we are talking about those
> e-mails, or entirely different issue?

Yes. Your and the subscriptions of all others directly addressed has
been disabled because too many emails were not accepted by gmail. I am
not 100% sure if that was just some kind of greylisting and gmail did
accept the mails eventually, but it did report a permanent failure back
to our mail server. This looks as follows:

    SMTP error from remote mail server after end of data:
    host gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com [2a00:1450:4013:c00::1a]:
    550-5.7.1 [2001:470:9f5b::25      12] Our system has detected that this message
    550-5.7.1 is likely unsolicited mail. To reduce the amount of spam sent to
    550-5.7.1 Gmail, this message has been blocked. Please visit
    550-5.7.1 http://support.google.com/mail/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=188131 for
    550 5.7.1 more information. s3si2581668wjx.75 - gsmtp

If mailman (the mailing list software) gets too many of those for a
certain subscriber address then it automatically unsubscribes the
recipient because it does expect this to be permanent.

There are some things we could change on the mail server to mitigate it
as I wrote before, but it seems that nothing really works and it is
rather a race between gmail demanding senders to jump through further
hoops and the senders implementing that. I am not too familiar with
mail and DNS servers though. If you want more technical details I can
ask Patrick to respond.

> The main reason I use GMail as my
> public e-mail address is exactly their spam filter. It is by far the most
> accurate of Hotmail, Yahoo or almost working e-mail service provided by my
> ISPs available to me.
>
> Do you have any other recommendations for e-mail provider?!

One that allows to whitelist mailing lists manually for example ;)