[flashrom] flashrom support for read\write word\byte actions

Stefan Tauner stefan.tauner at alumni.tuwien.ac.at
Sun Nov 9 10:48:09 CET 2014

On Sun, 9 Nov 2014 08:29:21 +0000
"Peri, Chanan" <chanan.peri at intel.com> wrote:

> Hi,
> From what I see, flashrom only support full erase\read\write actions for the entire flash chip.
> Is there any support for more specific actions - like erase sector? Read\write word\byte?
> If not, is there any plan to support such a thing.
>
> I'm asking specifically about the DediProg programmer, but I'll be interested to know if this can be done with other programmers.

Hello,

currently there exist already some patches that allow to read and write
single sectors with some preparation and the user interface is probably
not what you want (I am talking about layout files that allow to define
and operate on regions of flash space).

The midterm plan is to make the core of flashrom more library-like,
which would ease the creation of a special purpose tool like the one
you probably require. Note that midterm in flashrom terms can mean some
years since developer time has been rather scarce lately...

All of that is pretty much programmer-agnostic because most of the time
we specify exactly what is sent to the SPI (or other) bus.