[flashrom] updating BIOS for Shuttle SN21G5

Eduardo de Juan eduardo.de-juan at adslmail.es
Fri Dec 26 20:20:00 CET 2014

Hi Stefan

Thanks for your feedback.
Please see my extra questions within the mail body further down.

BR, Eduardo

On 12/24/2014 01:43 AM, Stefan Tauner wrote:
> On Mon, 22 Dec 2014 19:46:41 +0100
> Eduardo de Juan <eduardo.de-juan at adslmail.es> wrote:
>
>> Hi Stefan
>>
>> Thanks for your reply.
>>
>> I've verified, as you stated, that the file I downloaded from Shuttle's
>> web page has the same size as the bios file I backed up, exactly the
>> same, 524.288 !
>>
>> I've also found that the versión from the web seems to be the same as I
>> already have installed,
>>
>>      BIOS Information
>>               Vendor: Phoenix Technologies, LTD
>>               Version: 6.00 PG
>>               Release Date: 02/14/2006
>>               Address: 0xE0000
>>               Runtime Size: 128 kB
>>               ROM Size: 512 kB
>>

>> Is it normal that the BIOS has not neede to be updated since 2006 ?
> It is normal that manufacturers do not provide updates very long due to
> economical reasons and because they simply don't care... (that's one
> the big advantages of coreboot ;)

You mean I could replace by present BIOS with coreboot ?
Would that provide me with a better (more functional) BIOS (firmware) ?
I.e. would it then be able to boot from USB ?

However I've checked the suported boards but I think mine is not there.

According to the dmidecode output my board is a

    Base Board Information
         Manufacturer: Shuttle Inc
         Product Name: FN21V10
         Version:
         Serial Number:

    Processor Information
         Socket Designation: Socket 939
         Type: Central Processor
         Family: Athlon 64
         Manufacturer: AMD

Output from flasrom

    Found chipset "NVIDIA MCP51".
    This chipset is marked as untested. If you are using an up-to-date
    version
    of flashrom *and* were (not) able to successfully update your
    firmware with it,
    then please email a report to flashrom at flashrom.org including a
    verbose (-V) log.
    Thank you!
    Enabling flash write... OK.
    Found SST flash chip "SST49LF004A/B" (512 kB, FWH) at physical
    address 0xfff80000.
    No operations were specified.