[flashrom] updating BIOS for Shuttle SN21G5

Stefan Tauner stefan.tauner at alumni.tuwien.ac.at
Wed Dec 24 01:43:25 CET 2014

On Mon, 22 Dec 2014 19:46:41 +0100
Eduardo de Juan <eduardo.de-juan at adslmail.es> wrote:

> Hi Stefan
>
> Thanks for your reply.
>
> I've verified, as you stated, that the file I downloaded from Shuttle's
> web page has the same size as the bios file I backed up, exactly the
> same, 524.288 !
>
> I've also found that the versión from the web seems to be the same as I
> already have installed,
>
>     BIOS Information
>              Vendor: Phoenix Technologies, LTD
>              Version: 6.00 PG
>              Release Date: 02/14/2006
>              Address: 0xE0000
>              Runtime Size: 128 kB
>              ROM Size: 512 kB
>

> Is it normal that the BIOS has not neede to be updated since 2006 ?

It is normal that manufacturers do not provide updates very long due to
economical reasons and because they simply don't care... (that's one
the big advantages of coreboot ;)

> Can it be that my box is so old that it's not able to boot from a USB
> stick ?
> I've tried to boot my office laptop with the same USB and it booted.

There are a number of ways to boot from USB devices and compatibility
problems are (or at least were) quite common. The hardware is able to
boot from USB for sure, but the firmware might have some quirks...