[flashrom] updating BIOS for Shuttle SN21G5

Stefan Tauner stefan.tauner at alumni.tuwien.ac.at
Fri Dec 26 20:45:16 CET 2014

On Fri, 26 Dec 2014 20:20:00 +0100
Eduardo de Juan <eduardo.de-juan at adslmail.es> wrote:

> On 12/24/2014 01:43 AM, Stefan Tauner wrote:
> > On Mon, 22 Dec 2014 19:46:41 +0100
> > Eduardo de Juan <eduardo.de-juan at adslmail.es> wrote:
> >

> >> Is it normal that the BIOS has not neede to be updated since 2006 ?
> > It is normal that manufacturers do not provide updates very long due to
> > economical reasons and because they simply don't care... (that's one
> > the big advantages of coreboot ;)
>
> You mean I could replace by present BIOS with coreboot ?
> Would that provide me with a better (more functional) BIOS (firmware) ?
> I.e. would it then be able to boot from USB ?
>
> However I've checked the suported boards but I think mine is not there.

Hi,

sorry for stirring any hopes but I meant that in a more general sense.
In general coreboot (together with seabios) would allow any computer
(with a support USB controller) to boot from USB. The hard part is to
get coreboot on to a board first ;)
That all won't help you, but I wanted to make clear that the firmware
vendor is to blame and not the hardware.