[flashrom] Mainboard no tested

Stefan Tauner stefan.tauner at student.tuwien.ac.at
Sun Jan 15 15:15:17 CET 2012

On Thu, 12 Jan 2012 01:12:58 -0500
hector j <c1b3rh4ck at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi recently i'm using flashrom for  update a new mainboard,a friend of mine
> giving me this week,i've used flashrom sometimes but
> unfortunately i've been checking and the chipset,i try flashrom and it show
> me this message :
>
> This chipset is marked as untested. If you are using an up-to-date version
> of flashrom please email a report to flashrom at flashrom.org including a
>
> *Enabling flash write... This chipset is not really supported yet.
> Guesswork...
> Please send the output of "flashrom -V" to flashrom at flashrom.org with
> your board name: flashrom -V as the subject to help us finish support for
> your
> chipset. Thanks.
> OK.
>
> so i'm attaching two file one the verbose exit,and two my mainboard
> information using dmidecode,and if you receive this email please send me a
> confirmation or if you need more information just send me a mail .

hi

from my very limited experience i think the chipset usually works just
fine. in this case flashrom does not detect the flash chip. this can
mean two things:
 - either we have to toggle an IO pin of the chipset (dependent on the
   mainboard) to enable the chip at all, or
 - the chip is not supported yet.

most probably you just need a board enable
(http://flashrom.org/Board_Enable) due to the first option.

can you please confirm that this is you board
http://www.msi.com/product/mb/K9N6PGM2-V.html#/?div=BIOS
please also provide the output of lspci -xxxnnvv (run as root).
creating the board enable can take days to months dependent on the
motivation of our volunteers.