[flashrom] Add timeout check to SPI bitbang bus request

Stefan Tauner stefan.tauner at student.tuwien.ac.at
Fri Oct 14 22:27:21 CEST 2011

On Fri, 14 Oct 2011 19:55:10 +0100
Iain Paton <selsinork at gmail.com> wrote:

> Stefan Tauner wrote:
>
> > i have played with an unsupported intel nic too, see
> > http://www.flashrom.org/pipermail/flashrom/2011-August/007475.html especially the second mail.
>
> lol.. I've just been reading those since I have in my other hand a 82546EB
> based dual port PCI-X card with parallel rom on it. Of course the rom on that
> isn't supported either :)
> It's another Atmel, this time a 	.. trivially adding it to flashchips.c
> isn't getting me anywhere, so I was just investigating the board enable stuff.

AT49BV002A(N)'s ID is 0x07 afaics and that's equal to AT49F002(N)... hm.
what did you try? does probing with the nicintel_spi code help?

> > your problem sounds similar. maybe you need an enable procedure too
> > (different from the one in nicintel_spi_init),
>
> could be..
>
> >                                                or you dont really have
> > the at25f spi chip?
>
> while I'll admit that's possible, have a look and tell me what you think
> http://imagebin.org/179023

the upload/site seems broken to me, but i guess you are able to read,
so... (i was thinking of a possible misunderstanding on my side
previously). :)

> > i have not looked at the data sheet of (your) 82540EM (yet), but it
> > might help if one does... ;)
>
> That very datasheet appears to be what was used to write the driver, the link
> to it is in the top of nicintel_spi.c and that's where I got the hope that
> it could maybe work :)

that data sheet contains much more than that... and also parallel flash
interface descriptions.
but... appendix paragraph B.2 says:
The 82540EP/EM does not support a parallel FLASH interface.

so it is certainly not exactly the same problem i had; and i cant
help you further right now, sorry.