[flashrom] Add timeout check to SPI bitbang bus request

Iain Paton selsinork at gmail.com
Fri Oct 14 20:55:10 CEST 2011

Stefan Tauner wrote:

> i have played with an unsupported intel nic too, see
> http://www.flashrom.org/pipermail/flashrom/2011-August/007475.html especially the second mail.

lol.. I've just been reading those since I have in my other hand a 82546EB
based dual port PCI-X card with parallel rom on it. Of course the rom on that
isn't supported either :)
It's another Atmel, this time a AT49BV002AN.. trivially adding it to flashchips.c
isn't getting me anywhere, so I was just investigating the board enable stuff.

> your problem sounds similar. maybe you need an enable procedure too
> (different from the one in nicintel_spi_init),

could be..

>                                                or you dont really have
> the at25f spi chip?

while I'll admit that's possible, have a look and tell me what you think
http://imagebin.org/179023

> i have not looked at the data sheet of (your) 82540EM (yet), but it
> might help if one does... ;)

That very datasheet appears to be what was used to write the driver, the link
to it is in the top of nicintel_spi.c and that's where I got the hope that
it could maybe work :)

> please keep us updated and thanks for the at25f testing!

np, I'm happy to test stuff.

Iain