[flashrom] Flashrom - DOS version report

Carl-Daniel Hailfinger c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006 at gmx.net
Wed Mar 24 00:07:16 CET 2010

Hi,

[fullquote for flashrom at flashrom.org]

On 23.03.2010 22:58, RayeR wrote:
> >That is very strange. Do you have a log?
> >SB600 should work fine. Maybe the SPI chip is not
> >attached to the SB600 but instead to the SuperI/O.
> >Can you try
> >flashrom -p it87spi
>
> Yes here's it:
>
> C:\F>flashrom.exe -p it87spi
> flashrom v0.9.1-r933
> Error: Programmer initialization failed.

OK, so it is not ITE IT87.

> C:\F>flashrom.exe -V -r
> flashrom v0.9.1-r933
> No coreboot table found.
> DMI string system-manufacturer: "Dell Inc.          "
> DMI string system-product-name: "OptiPlex 320              "
> DMI string system-version: "Not Specified"
> DMI string baseboard-manufacturer: "Dell Inc.           "
> DMI string baseboard-product-name: "0CU395"
> DMI string baseboard-version: "   "
> DMI string chassis-type: "Tower"
> Found chipset "AMD SB600", enabling flash write... SPI base address is
> at 0xd8000
> Error accessing SB600 SPI registers, 0x1000 bytes at 0x000d8000
> dpmi mmap failed: No such file or directory (ENOENT)

Ah yes. That's a limitation of the DOS port of flashrom.
Usually the SB600 SPI base address is near the top of the address space
(4 GB). On your board it is below 1 MB, and AFAIK Rudolf said that we
can't map any region below 1 MB as uncached due to CWSDPMI/DJGPP
limitations.

If anyone has an idea how to overcome these limitations, we can fix
flashrom for this special case.

> See PCI device listing attached.
>
> >The W25x40 supports multiple erase commands,
> >and your chipset does not allow flashrom to use
> >the spi_block_erase_20 command. Flashrom notices
> >that this command failed and tries another erase command which works.
>
> OK
>
> >Yes, strange. Maybe that happens as side effect from DJGPP compilation?
>
> I don't know...
>
> >It should try only 2 times. If it tries more often,
> >we have to check the code (bug?). I think Rudolf(?) said that there
> >are problems if we try to run a CWSDPMI app (dmidecode) from another
> >CWSDPMI app (flashrom).
> >Does it work if dmidecode.exe is in the PATH?
> >Hm. DMIDECODE.EXE is a name with 9+3 letters. That can't work on old
> DOS.
>
> Yes it works with dmidecode in path but nobody told me that I need it.
> On my home PC I already have dmidecode for DOS in my utilities
> directory. The file name is not problem because of DJGPP is smart
> and do some file name translation. If there's no LFN support it
> tries to look for "dmidecod.exe" and when run on LFN enabled OS
> it will use "dmidecode.exe". But it's different LFN truncating
> mode than windows use ("dmidec~1.exe"). I don't know why but e.g.
> DJGPP PKUNZIP tool use filename truncate this way without ~.
> But it would be better to check if both version of name exist and
> display non-confusing error message when nothing found.

Michael? Is there a good way to handle this?

http://www.hailfinger.org/