[flashrom] Write the second flash device

Carl-Daniel Hailfinger c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006 at gmx.net
Mon Feb 1 14:20:58 CET 2010

Hi Piotr,

On 01.02.2010 12:43, Piotr Piwko wrote:
> Does flashrom support writing the second flash devices connected to LPC bus?

Not yet, but it is easy to add (maybe 5 lines of code).

> In my system I have one built-in flash device and the second one which
> is connected to the same LPC bus. I can also change device ID[3:0]
> pins, so I'm able to choose from which flash the system should be run.
>
> In this case I would like to write the flash device which is not
> bootable, but unfortunately the flashrom application detects only the
> boot device (under 0xFFF0 0000) - no matter from which flash device
> system is run.
>
> Is there any possibility to choose FWH device for flashrom?

Choosing the FWH device happens by adjusting the probe address.

You have to modify the calls to programmer_map_flash_region() in
map_flash_registers() and in probe_flash(). 0xffffffff has to be changed
to the last byte of the address space of your secondary flash chip.

That's it. I plan to write a patch which allows you to set that stuff
from the command line (-p internal:flashtop=0xffefffff), but that may
not happen before end of March.

Developer quote of the year:
"We are juggling too many chainsaws and flaming arrows and tigers."