[coreboot] SPI controller and Lock bits

ron minnich rminnich at gmail.com
Sat Sep 29 23:25:27 CEST 2018

On Sat, Sep 29, 2018 at 1:59 PM Sam Kuper <sam.kuper at uclmail.net> wrote:

> Small momentary switches cost pennies and laptops usually have about a
> hundred of them fitted, of various kinds. (Power on/off/suspend;
> volume up/down; keyboard keys; maybe others.) So, fitting laptops with
> momentary switches is definitely acceptable to manufacturers.

I'm guessing you don't work in a company that designs or builds laptops :-)
b/c they agonize over parts like this. I ran into one situation where the
ODM removed a single pulldown to save cost. One little
almost-too-small-to-see part which cost a fraction of a cent. But a laptop
BOM is a consequence of thousands of decisions of this type.

Nope, the switch is definitely a non-starter, esp. given that there are
solutions that don't require it.

It's not just the part. A single simple part like that has all kinds of
follow-on effects that are not obvious unless you've been at a company
which designs and builds consumer electronics.