[coreboot] Flashing Coreboot on Lenovo G505s

Anac anac at rbox.co
Tue Sep 25 14:36:03 CEST 2018

On 09/24/2018 12:37 AM, Mike Banon wrote:
> Hello Anac! I am "mikeb" , wrote these BIOS / KB9012 flashing articles
> at DP wiki ;-)
Thanks a lot for that work, your support and sharing all the super
useful info and hints here!

> Operating CH341A is very easy: I wrote the instructions for Bus Pirate
> because of its' confusing pinout, and thought CH341A pretty is
> obvious. But, seeing there are requests like yours from time to time,
> finally I've expanded that flashing article with two extra photos,
> they should explain everything -
> http://dangerousprototypes.com/docs/Flashing_a_BIOS_chip_with_Bus_Pirate#CH341A_flashing_coreboot_open_source_BIOS_to_Lenovo_G505S_hacking
>   You just need to make sure that the pins of your programmer and chip
> are matching each other, e.g. CS - chip select. Also, remember to
> disconnect all the power sources from your laptop (both battery and
> power adapter) and before plugging the programmer into USB you need to
> connect its' SOIC8 clip, and after the flashing you disconnect USB
> first and SOIC8 clip second.
Yes, for someone who has never done it, that sort of info is priceless.
Just like your advice to put insulation tape at the
bottom of CH341A - it may even save hardware from getting fried
(thinking of short cables, big fingers, SOIC clip sliding off the chip
and all).

Thanks to Awokd, Matt and Nico, too. And of course to Taiidan for
promoting the G505s.

Sincerely,
Anac