[coreboot] Lenovo X230 + 32GB RAM ?

David Potocnik david at middlemachine.com
Mon Sep 3 19:13:15 CEST 2018

Hi all,

Please excuse this absolutely green question.

But it crossed my mind a few times now, and I've seen mentions of it with
people, as unqualified as I am, speculating about it here and there.

So, the Lenovo X230 sports Ivy Bridge CPUs, which apparently support 32GB
RAM.
https://ark.intel.com/products/64893/Intel-Core-i7-3520M-Processor-4M-Cache-up-to-3_60-GHz

Even though the official Lenovo documentation says the max RAM supported is
16GB, the docs also claimed 8GB was max for X220. And many of us were happy
to realize that wasn't true, running 16GB.

I've heard (possibly uninformed) mentions that the 16GB limit in X230 is a
BIOS limit. Could anyone think it would be possible to make this work with
Coreboot, or perhaps rule it out completely?

Information on RAM frequencies is welcome as well:

I've also heard reports of people running the RAM at 1866Mhz. A newer
version of the official BIOS reduced the original 1666Mhz, to 1333Mhz. I
believe there's a mod available that over-rides this:
http://x220.mcdonnelltech.com/resources/

How is this currently on Coreboot?

Does anyone see any possible developments in these directions?

Kind regards to anyone that would shed light on this.

- David