[coreboot] Problems with NVidia on Lenovo ThinkPad T430

Michał Kopeć mkopec12 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 3 12:07:50 CEST 2018

> Hello everybody!
>
> I have problems with getting coreboot running on a Lenovo ThinkPad
> T430.
> Better to say: Running with the integrated second graphics adapter NVS
> 5400M. The Intel HD 4000 is working fine and from the wiki I know that
> NVidia Optimus is not supported for now. So what to do exactly getting
> the graphics adapter running? Even only NVidia only would be great.
> Both
> adapters are not needed on GNU-Linux for my usecase. I have two
> VGA-ROMs
> extracted and compiled this using the concurrent stable-version 4.7.
> Is
> this wrong? Some help and hints would be appreciated.
>
> Best regards,
> Tobias.

Hello Tobias,

You can switch between GPUs by changing the value of the
hybrid_graphics_mode CMOS setting using nvramcui or nvramtool.
Currently, for the T430 this field can be set to either Integrated only
or Dedicated only. Make sure you are using CMOS for configuration
values. Unfortunately, I was unable to switch the power for the dGPU
off at all, which resulted in rather high power consumption even if
only the integrated GPU is enabled.

Regards,
Michał Kopeć