[coreboot] About Paging, Realmode and what is going on

ron minnich rminnich at gmail.com
Tue Sep 5 01:45:43 CEST 2017

On Mon, Sep 4, 2017 at 3:41 PM Philipp Stanner <stanner at posteo.de> wrote:

> Start the board, load the OS and go back into your flash until reboot.

Just checking, but have you looked at the code to see what "start the
board" really means? Hint: on x86 it's essentially one billion instructions
before you can even think about using RAM, much less loading the payload.

I'm guessing, by what you are saying, that you are not familiar with what
has to be done. Apologies if I am wrong :-)

And, that said, I'm back to the old original idea, which is to load linux
from flash. It's working fine on UEFI today and I'm seeing what it takes to
replace the coreboot ramstage with linux.

ron