[coreboot] About Paging, Realmode and what is going on

Philipp Stanner stanner at posteo.de
Tue Sep 5 00:40:10 CEST 2017

Am Montag, den 04.09.2017, 20:15 +0000 schrieb Peter Stuge:
>  legacy
> tables such as ACPI

ACPI is a open standard, isn't it?

> The payload directly reads the filesystem from disk, no boot sector
> is used.

Indeed. So a payload built for cb won't try to call BIOS. And if
something after it tries it said payload should have implemented the
calls.

> coreboot with its payloads offers significant advantages over legacy
> BIOS and stillborn UEFI architectures.

C and open source is great. Though it frustrates me a bit that people
did all this work – and here we are again, still implementing BIOS-
Interrupts and all this old stuff. If it would compile on my machine I
would prefer a tiny loader like FILO.
The awkward thing about BIOS is that it was a second OS from the first
day on – while the reasonable philosophy behind firmware should be:
Start the board, load the OS and go back into your flash until reboot.

P.