[coreboot] About Paging, Realmode and what is going on

Peter Stuge peter at stuge.se
Mon Sep 4 22:32:05 CEST 2017

Peter Stuge wrote:
> The MBR is irrelevant in the above scenario, it is never read.
..
> The payload directly reads the filesystem from disk, no boot sector is used.

To clarify, I mean code here. No code is read/loaded/used from MBR.

The partition table is read, but I expect that GRUB2 supports both
GPT and MBR partition tables, so MBR is not a requirement, and can
likely be changed at will, without needing to modify coreboot or
GRUB2 in boot flash, as long as the GRUB2 config file correctly
reflects system configuration.

//Peter