[coreboot] New bugtracker/wiki registration process - please do not use freenode irc servers

ng0 ng0 at infotropique.org
Thu Nov 2 15:12:11 CET 2017

Peter Stuge transcribed 1.3K bytes:
> dz6g239 at tuta.io wrote:
> > But please dont use freenode irc or any other IRC server that are
> > blocking TOR users.
> ..
> > Net neutrality is important. Please dont move coreboot into the
> > situation that you cant register because of broken net neutrality.
>
> This is a good point, thanks for bringing it up.
>

> Carl-Daniel Hailfinger wrote:
> > https://freenode.net/kb/answer/chat contradicts your claims.
>
> Quoting that page, "The hidden service requires SASL authentication."
>
> Requiring authentication clearly goes against the spirit of both Tor
> and net neutrality; so depending on freenode services to authenticate
> contributions turns out to be a bad idea.
>
> But handling spam takes effort, which in turn takes (time || money),
> and there is no technical one-shot solution. At a minimum it requires
> recurring engineering on the order of a few days every few months.
>
> There is indeed a tradeoff here, between accessibility and cost.

At secushare we are using psyced (a visible implementation of the PSYC 0.99/1 protocol
is running at psyed.org for almost 2 decades now) as a daily chat server,
accessible via webchat, irc, ircs, telnet, xmpp, etc through tor
and through "clearnet".
Through my time spend on various IRC centric networks I have found
no better solution, IRC is fundamentally broken.
The mufhd0 network which A/I (Autistici/Inventati) runs requires no
checks for tor users, aswell as the hackint network (or at least they
used to, no idea what hackint is doing these days), and psyced.org.
There are some more networks and servers like this, but their number is
small.