[coreboot] New bugtracker/wiki registration process - please do not use freenode irc servers

Peter Stuge peter at stuge.se
Thu Nov 2 14:05:17 CET 2017

dz6g239 at tuta.io wrote:
> But please dont use freenode irc or any other IRC server that are
> blocking TOR users.
..
> Net neutrality is important. Please dont move coreboot into the
> situation that you cant register because of broken net neutrality.

This is a good point, thanks for bringing it up.

Carl-Daniel Hailfinger wrote:
> https://freenode.net/kb/answer/chat contradicts your claims.

Quoting that page, "The hidden service requires SASL authentication."

Requiring authentication clearly goes against the spirit of both Tor
and net neutrality; so depending on freenode services to authenticate
contributions turns out to be a bad idea.

But handling spam takes effort, which in turn takes (time || money),
and there is no technical one-shot solution. At a minimum it requires
recurring engineering on the order of a few days every few months.

There is indeed a tradeoff here, between accessibility and cost.

I would like a two-tier system of authenticated reviewers like on Wikipedia
very much, and as a minimum-effort one-shot solution I think that would last
the longest time, but it still needs to be implemented.

Wiki admins: Would that need more effort than IRC integration?

//Peter