[coreboot] Intel me problems

Alejandro Flores af49880 at gmail.com
Tue May 16 16:22:04 CEST 2017

I have a new acer chromebook I have flashed with coreboot + seabios
payload. It boots to linux ok, but then powers off suddenly after 30 min
regardless of whether I am using it.

I disabled hibernation and have been leaving it plugged in, but this
changes nothing. I suspect a faulty intel me since there is nothing else I
can think of. The strange thing is I did not use me cleaner but used the
full me extracted from the original bios. Later I downloaded the stock
chrombook bios for my model from google and extracted the me module from
that.

At this point I have built several variations of roms using the me module
from the original bios, the google bios, and "cleaned" versions of both but
always with the same problem of power off after 30 min.

I am confused as to what the problem may be. I used the intelmetool bundled
with coreboot but when I run it with the -s flag it seg faults.

In order to extract the me rom I used ifdtool that is included with
coreboot.
./ifdtool -x bios.bin
The intel me module is found at offset 00001000 - 001fffff and is 2 mb in
size. Is that the correct way to do it?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.