[coreboot] Request for reviewing Coreboot/VBT

Zoran Stojsavljevic zoran.stojsavljevic at gmail.com
Fri May 12 10:21:53 CEST 2017

Hello Nico,

After first reading of your response you sound to me as paid for by INTEL
(?) intimidator... But I always do NOT follow the first impression, rather
I try to read between the lines. It is, after all, the Psychology of your
replies. Let me NOT go further/deeper down (this conclusion does not follow
this particular reply, rather follows your general practices for quite a
time on this list). ;-)

And YES, I find lot of values in/with your reply. You are, after all,
very/extremely smart and dedicated guy, and I really value your
efforts/answers. Please, keep trying to put my efforts down, if you find my
efforts inappropriate. I asked for it, I need to cope with it. :-)

In other words, keep doing what you are doing. :-)

Let me go as short as I can be, analysing your reply, piece by piece.
_______

> Sigh, as you describe ongoing development details, some place like the
> coreboot wiki [1] might be a better place for this (though people try to
> abandon this particular wiki).

I released all of this effort (as complete project) as shareware. And, if
you know where this whole page should be moved, please, do so. Or point to
me where I should move this page. I did my best as I know it. I do not know
better, so this is why I am asking people as yourself to intervene.

> Before the latest additions your page looked like 80% copyright
infringement
> to me, being copy-pasted verbatim from Linux kernel documentation and
mails
> on this list (it's ok to quote people, but you should ask them).

No policies at all (as overall), since I already imposed GPL2 licence as
this effort. It comes from Open Source, it is GPL2 or GPL3, and I did some
cut/paste things there (in first paragraph). After all, I withdraw/isolated
the particular source code from intel-gpu-tools to make it standalone (and
to get some knowledge about GitHub, which I had NONE previously, to be
frank), and I do NOT claim ownership of this tool. I paved the
possibility/ability for people (and me as well) to enhance these tools in
the wanted/whoever needs desired (?) direction.

This is WHY I am constantly asking this effort to be reviewed. If I need to
put names from the emails, I'll do, if required. Please, do ask. Or reedit
(as real names, NOT anonymous IP addresses).

> I'll try to give some constructive feedback too: The page title should
> be "Video BIOS Table" or "Intel Video BIOS Table". It's not directly
> related to coreboot and having an acronym as title is pretty odd.

Agreed. But I already did it: https://en.wikipedia.org/
wiki/Draft:INTEL_VBT_(Video_BIOS_Table)
>From the very first day... ;-)

> You should highlight in the introduction that it's an Intel driver spe
cific
> thing. What an VBIOS is or a GOP is OT. The "Proposal for VBT name
> change"... that was just an idea to better describe what the VBT is,
> pretty odd to see my words on Wikipedia.

You know, me, being you, I'll sue myself. YES, I did here email
infringement (still, I consider Coreboot email list Open). But, you do get
it, in very positive way... Simply, your words of Wisdom are correct, and I
wanted to make point there.

> The relation to EDID doesn't look very clear. The VBT can contain
> modelines, yes. But that's just a minor part. Not using an EDID is
> not (only) a cost-cutting measure, IMHO, but rather to save the
> time/physical connections to read it.

What I should tell here? Hello INTEL, is anybody home in your head? Why
you, INTEL, are using your OWN odd (proprietary) format making VBT entries,
instead making VBT entries to to be compliant with EDID formats: EDID 1.x
or 2.0 standards?

Implementation wise, you are correct. Very correct. Real Time or not, up to
the GFX vendor.

> In the "See also" section, I spot only one reference that really makes
> sense "Video BIOS".

You are very free to fix it. Please, do so. I'll have only one request
here. Not as IP address/anonymous, rather as Nico Huber. :-)
_______

You are all welcome to add/delete/modify these pages.

Thank you,
Zoran Stojsavljevic
_______