[coreboot] Request for reviewing Coreboot/VBT

Nico Huber nico.h at gmx.de
Thu May 11 22:29:11 CEST 2017

On 11.05.2017 11:29, Zoran Stojsavljevic wrote:
> Hello Community,
>
> Here is the request for reviewing the latest and greatest WIKI Coreboot/VBT:
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coreboot/VBT

Sigh, as you describe ongoing development details, some place like the
coreboot wiki [1] might be a better place for this (though people try
to abandon this particular wiki). Before the latest additions your page
looked like 80% copyright infringement to me, being copy-pasted verba-
tim from Linux kernel documentation and mails on this list (it's ok to
quote people, but you should ask them).

I'll try to give some constructive feedback too: The page title should
be "Video BIOS Table" or "Intel Video BIOS Table". It's not directly
related to coreboot and having an acronym as title is pretty odd.

You should highlight in the introduction that it's an Intel driver spe-
cific thing. What an VBIOS is or a GOP is OT. The "Proposal for VBT name
change"... that was just an idea to better describe what the VBT is,
pretty odd to see my words on Wikipedia.

The relation to EDID doesn't look very clear. The VBT can contain mode-
lines, yes. But that's just a minor part. Not using an EDID is not
(only) a cost-cutting measure, IMHO, but rather to save the time / phy-
sical connections to read it.

In the "See also" section, I spot only one reference that really makes
sense "Video BIOS".

Nico

[1] https://www.coreboot.org/Welcome_to_coreboot