[coreboot] [RFC] Always include coreboot banner in console independent of log level

Julius Werner jwerner at chromium.org
Mon Feb 27 21:51:23 CET 2017

> >    coreboot-4.5-1079-g613350897d Fri Feb 24 14:59:42 UTC 2017 romstage
> > starting...
>
> Julius, do you have any measurements, how much time printing 100
> characters over the serial console would take?

Back of the envelope calculation for normal 115200 baud says

1000ms * 100 chars * 9 bits per char (with parity) / 115200 bps = 8ms

Certainly not the end of the world, but I just don't like unnecessary
inefficiency even if it's small. I also feel like it should be a reasonable
use case to say "I want *only* warnings/errors" (e.g. so you can pipe them
directly into some firmware error log or something), but maybe that's just
me.

> Also, does that really matter for production systems? What log level
> are they normally shipped with?

If you're talking about Chrome OS production systems, we just set BIOS_SPEW
but disable the UART,  so from that point I don't care either way.