[coreboot] [RFC] Always include coreboot banner in console independent of log level

Paul Menzel paulepanter at users.sourceforge.net
Sat Feb 25 11:40:55 CET 2017

Dear Martin, dear Julius,

Am Freitag, den 24.02.2017, 16:41 -0700 schrieb Martin Roth:
> My argument is that if nothing at all is shown, its difficult to know if
> that's because nothing needs to be shown, or because the console is busted.

That was my original motivation too. The image for QEMU with log level
WARNING, didn’t print anything to the console, so I didn’t know if QEMU
was called incorrectly, or if there was another problem with the build.

> Maybe we break up the banner, and don't print both romstage and
> ramstage banners, but just the romstage banner.  I'd say that just printing
> the coreboot version should be sufficient, especially since the build date
> is based on the commit id:
>
> So at loglevel 0, we get:
>   coreboot-4.5-1079-g613350897d

But can’t the version for romstage and ramstage differ? (Though very
unlikely.)

> At loglevel 5 (or whatever) we get the additional text:

With the current definitions, it should be log level 6 (INFO). 5
(NOTICE) is “Normal but significant conditions.”, while 6 (INFO) is
“Informational messages.”. (No idea how “significant” condition is
defined.)

>    coreboot-4.5-1079-g613350897d Fri Feb 24 14:59:42 UTC 2017 romstage
> starting...

Julius, do you have any measurements, how much time printing 100
characters over the serial console would take?

Also, does that really matter for production systems? What log level
are they normally shipped with?

Thanks,

Paul