[coreboot] Back to original BIOS

Michal Widlok michalwd1979 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 3 10:07:04 CET 2017

Hello, just a few observations from me, since a have a few T400
motherboards (in various states):
Once, before having raspberry "programmer" I've just exchange flash
chips between 2 motherboards, by de-soldering and re-soldering them -
it worked. There are also flash chips with original T400 bios on sale
- what about this? Lenovo is known for problems with bios updates
(check: "T400/T500 slow boot after bios update" in google), so I
suppose these chips might be useful. The problem that comes to my mind
is MAC address that is stored in flash - we know how to change it with
coreboot, but I'm not sure if on original bios also. If the MAC is
stored in the same place in coreboot and bios then it would be
possible to change it.

Peter: Is that really the case with old T400? The MAC might be a
problem, but what else? Maybe there are some things that I'm aware
off, and while motherboard looks ok in reality it is not.

Since all methods are rather complicated (and I don't have original
bios anyway), maybe the easiest would be to read flash chip with
original bios (from any unused mainboard) then just flash it to the
"right one", then follow with normal windows bios update - what do You
think?
Michael Widlok