[coreboot] Back to original BIOS

Arthur Heymans arthur at aheymans.xyz
Thu Feb 2 21:46:35 CET 2017

ron minnich <rminnich at gmail.com> writes:
> We really need to start warning people when the flash a thinkpad that
> it is very important to save the old flash image.

It is somewhat thinkpad specific whether the bios extracted from the
update tool will work.
On X60 I have had no success with it.

On X200 it sort of works to flash the vendor bios extracted from update
.exe. You can even just flash bios region and leave ifd, gbe (and me)
alone. (Though I have had it not being able to boot and complain about
some pxe stuff)

Note: on x200 there exists a modified (whitelist removed) bios which
does not write protect its bootblock. With this it is possible to flash
the vendor bios without having to rely on an external programmer to
re-flash coreboot.

Backup are essential!

--
Arthur Heymans