[coreboot] Back to original BIOS

Peter Stuge peter at stuge.se
Fri Feb 3 12:20:22 CET 2017

Michal Widlok wrote:
> Peter: Is that really the case with old T400?

I don't have experience with T400, but on older models still it was
very much the case that the BIOS image had some information in it,
which was compared with the actual hardware at runtime, and in case
of mismatch the platform did not boot.

I always assumed that it's a handshake between BIOS and the AT24RF
EEPROM which includes some extra special functionality. On platforms
with ME it wouldn't surprise me too much if all that moved into the
ME, or even disappeared completely, but I *have* had the problem in
the past.

I didn't research exactly what information it is, or exactly what the
handshake is, I always worked around the problem by flashing the
backup.

//Peter