[coreboot] latest greatest thinkpad with coreboot

Peter Stuge peter at stuge.se
Fri Dec 2 10:55:52 CET 2016

Trammell Hudson wrote:
> Do we require any sort of VGA init if the payload has the kernel
> framebuffer and mode support?

As far as I know the answer for more recent kernels is "sortof".

It used to be that i915 in the kernel was completely independent. It
would initialize GPU and turn on the panel with native resolution.

At some point in 4.x there was a change in i915 to make it depend on
the VBT embedded into the VGA option ROM.

coreboot may or may not be able to generate a satisfactory VBT on its
own. In theory of course it could. I just don't expect the C code to
be complete.

I like Nico's approach a lot. I would not mind if we integrated that
as the graphics init for relevant platforms, looking ahead maybe even
expanding its coverage to further platforms.

//Peter