[coreboot] latest greatest thinkpad with coreboot

kitestramuort kitestramuort at autistici.org
Fri Dec 2 10:18:49 CET 2016

On Thu, 2016-12-01 at 23:53 +0100, Klemens Nanni wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 01, 2016 at 11:35:36AM -0700, Trammell Hudson wrote:
> > The major drawback is the low res screen.  I've been considering
> > trying
> > these hacked x230 machines with 2560x1440 screens for 2559Y (about
> > $400?):
> >
> > https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=43820633263&toSite=main
> > http://forum.51nb.com/thread-1662397-1-1.html
>
> Interesting, I wonder how well these replacement screens would work
> with
> coreboot? I assume the proprietary VGA Option ROM won't work with
> those
> and native graphics initialisation still needs some work on the X230
> either ways.

I have one of those. The dock DP lane is "hijacked" to fit the FHD eDP
screen. In the BIOS (and in Windows) the signal is duplicated between
the non-existent LVDS and DP, consuming more power. However it works
very well in Linux with a small patch to the i915 module that disables
the LVDS lane and forces DP-3 to be detected as eDP.

I tried doing the same in coreboot, playing with the source code, but
couldn't figure out how to. It would be great to have the setup working
"natively"