[coreboot] latest greatest thinkpad with coreboot

Trammell Hudson hudson at trmm.net
Fri Dec 2 03:52:47 CET 2016

On Thu, Dec 01, 2016 at 11:20:00PM +0000, ron minnich wrote:
> If people are trying native graphics init I still think it's worth trying
> the SPARK stuff from nico at least once.

I'm intrigued by the use of Ada and excited about applying more
formal methods as well as safer languages to the firmware space.
It would also be interesting to consider using sel4 or CertiKOS
as a payload.

Do we require any sort of VGA init if the payload has the kernel
framebuffer and mode support?  I should do some tests with that
on the x230.

On Thu, Dec 1, 2016 at 2:54 PM Klemens Nanni <kl3 at posteo.org> wrote:
> >https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=43820633263&toSite=main
> >http://forum.51nb.com/thread-1662397-1-1.html
>
> Interesting, I wonder how well these replacement screens would work with
> coreboot? I assume the proprietary VGA Option ROM won't work with those
> and native graphics initialisation still needs some work on the X230
> either ways.

Based on the auto-translated Chinese forum post, I believe they
have tapped into the docking station to get sufficient display lanes.
I haven't tried using the docking station with coreboot, so I'm not
certain how well it would work either.

--
Trammell