[LinuxBIOS] Desktop computer use?

Peter Stuge stuge-linuxbios at cdy.org
Sat Sep 9 04:11:03 CEST 2006

On Fri, Sep 08, 2006 at 01:48:03PM -0700, Bario wrote:
> > I'll try to take a quick look.  Does it have a socketed bios
> > part?
>
> No, it (unfortunately) doesn't, it's a TSOP. However, I have
> another of the exact same board that, if necessary, the bios chip
> can be scavenged off and sodiered to the first board (the other
> board has a broken handle on the zif socket). Has anyone ever tried
> installing a switch for easy swapping back and forth between bios
> chips?

The simplest way would be to just piggyback all pins of chip 2,
except /CE, onto chip 1, then lift chip 1 /CE from the mainboard and
have a switch for selecting either chip 1 /CE or chip 2 /CE to
connect to the mainboard, possibly with pull-up resistors on both
chips. (ideally only the one not selected)

Beware that TSOP packages demand very skilled soldering.

//Peter