[LinuxBIOS] Compiling errors for flashrom

Stefan Reinauer stepan at openbios.org
Thu Dec 15 22:13:32 CET 2005

* Christian Sühs <chris at suehsi.de> [051214 17:21]:
> Hello @ all,
>
> I try to compile flashrom on my older Suse Distro 8.2 with Kernel 2.4.20
> and gcc 3.3 Suse Prerelease, but it fails because of the -Werror Flag.
>
> e.g flashrom_enable.c line 408 and 417
> warning: comparison between signed and unsigned ... bla, bla

flashrom_enable.c:
394:        int i;
408:        for (i = 0; i < sizeof(mbenables) / sizeof(mbenables[0]); i++) {
417:        for (i = 0; i < sizeof(enables) / sizeof(enables[0]) && (!dev);

sizeof is defined unsigned and i is signed. I wonder why this is no
error with later compilers anymore. Can you make i unsigned int in line
394 and see if the code compiles then your compiler?

> If I delete -Werror in the makefile. flashrom is build, but with many
> warnings shown below in mostly each file to compile.

can you send me a complete log of the warnings?

I suggest to update to a newer SUSE version. The problems will
likely vanish.

> Also, flashrom doesn't work for me, I get an error
>
> "LinuxBios Table not found"
>
> and then a
>
> Segmention Fault

Can you try to run the code in gdb to see where it segfaults? You need
to change -Os to -O -g

Stefan