[SeaBIOS] SeaBIOS recognising USB 3.0 on boot works - partly

Kevin O'Connor kevin at koconnor.net
Tue Dec 15 01:02:14 CET 2015

On Sun, Dec 13, 2015 at 09:16:02PM +0000, edward wandasiewicz wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 13, 2015 at 9:05 PM, edward wandasiewicz <0.w3ntd at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hooray, it works... minus 2 scenarios :(
> >
> > With both Philips USB and Mushkin USB attached, and I perform a cold boot
> >
> > 1. YES - USB 3 & USB 3 - once each (Philips & Mushkin)
> >
> > cbmem.yes.both.USB3.USB3.gz
> >
> > 2. NO - USB 3 & USB 3 - once each (Philips & Muskin) - but double
> > Philips showing
> >
> > cbmem.yes.both.USB3.USB3.DoublePhilips.gz
> >
> > 3. YES - USB 3 & Type C - once each (Philips & Mushkin)
> >
> > cbmem.yes.both.USB3.TypeC.gz
> >
> > I can't get a double Philips to appear
> >
> > 4. YES - Type C & Type C - once each (Philips & Mushkin)
> >
> > cbmem.yes.both.TypeC.TypeC.gz
> >
> > 5. NO - Type C & Type C - one Philiips & no Mushkin
> >
> > I forgot to save
> >
> > $ cbmem -c
> >
> > and now can't replicate it. :(

If you can't reproduce, it may have been a transient hardware issue
(eg, loose plug).

Otherwise, to summarize, the devices are now detected pretty reliably,
but you still have an issue with double detection of the Philips
drive?

The double detection looks like the controller doing something weird.
I need to look closer at the spec, but I don't think I'll be able to
do that until later in the week.

> > When I do, I will post output.
>
> When attempting a cold boot - shutdown - cold boot - shutdown - cold
> boot - shutdown - ....
>
> It seems the list of bootable devices can change order, yet the
> devices are plugged into the same ports all the time, and never
> unplugged.

By default, the order of USB drives in the menu is basically random.
If you want to ensure a particular order for USB then a "bootorder"
file can be created.  You can look at the wiki for info on how to do
that, or you can try to extract the bootorder file that John Lewis
uses in his roms.