[SeaBIOS] SeaBIOS recognising USB 3.0 on boot works - partly

Kevin O'Connor kevin at koconnor.net
Tue Dec 1 16:39:29 CET 2015

On Mon, Nov 30, 2015 at 07:04:55PM +0000, edward wandasiewicz wrote:
> On 30 Nov 2015 5:35 p.m., "Kevin O'Connor" <kevin at koconnor.net> wrote:
> > Looks like two separate issues are occurring - the Philips drive is
> > being detected as both a high speed device and as a super speed
> > device.  I need a log with CONFIG_DEBUG_LEVEL=5 to diagnose that.  The
> > second issue appears to be a USB_TRANSACTION_ERROR response from the
> > set_address command.  I think the controller may just be a bit too
> > picky on stall responses from devices in that situation.  I've put up
> > a patch to try and work around that in the repo at:
> >
> >   https://github.com/KevinOConnor/seabios/tree/testing
> >
> > Are you able to compile SeaBIOS from source and install it on your
> > Samus?
>
> Compile? I could have a go, but don't want to brick my device. Happy
> to write a RW_LEGACY from John Lewis.
>
> Or learn how to - bit risky for a newbie?

If you've never removed the flash read/write screw (and you normally
hit cntl-L to enter seabios) then bricking shouldn't be a problem.
(No guarantees.)  It may require a full chrome re-install to recover
should something go wrong though.  If you have removed the read/write
screw then you should only proceed if you know what you are doing, and
you should have the ability to restore from an external flasher.

Roughly, the steps to build and flash a RW_LEGACY section is as
follows:

1 - grab the code:

  git clone https://github.com/KevinOConnor/seabios.git -b testing

2 - build the code:

  cd seabios
  echo "CONFIG_COREBOOT=y" > .config
  echo "CONFIG_CBFS_LOCATION=0xffe00000" >> .config
  echo "CONFIG_VGA_COREBOOT=y" >> .config
  echo "CONFIG_DEBUG_LEVEL=5" >> .config
  make olddefconfig
  make

3 - build the RW_LEGACY image by copying the attached chromeimage.sh
to the seabios directory, make it executable, and run the script:

  ./chromeimage.sh

Be sure to follow the directions in that script for extracting the
original image and for writing the generated image.

Please review the script and make sure it makes sense before running
anything.  If you don't understand a step then you probably will want
to hold off until someone can build a tested rom for you.

Cheers,