[SeaBIOS] WfW setup and DOS display.sys hanging

Sebastian basti at sraa.de
Mon Feb 10 15:57:46 CET 2014

Hi,

>> After rebooting, qemu hangs with 100% cpu usage when loading
>> DISPLAY.SYS. It is loaded by the following line in CONFIG.SYS:
>>
>> DEVICE=C:\DOS\DISPLAY.SYS CON=(EGA,,1)
>
> Thanks.  That DEVICE line causes a failure for me as well and the call
> trace is much easier to understand.
>
> The SeaVGABIOS patch below fixes both the DISPLAY.SYS and Win3 setup
> issue for me.  (I can't reproduce the dosidle problem.)

The attached patch does indeed fix both the DISPLAY.SYS and Windows
Setup problems for me. Thanks a lot! I can't reproduce the
dosidle-problem either, it works now.

A straight non-networked Windows for Workgroups 3.11 installation now
hangs after loading the Program Manager.

I noticed that SeaBIOS does not work correctly with parallel make, log
excerpts following:

$ LANG=C make -j16 # dual-core machine without SMT
   Compiling IASL out/src/fw/acpi-dsdt.hex
make[1]: warning: jobserver unavailable: using -j1.  Add `+' to parent
make rule.
   Compiling IASL out/src/fw/ssdt-proc.hex
   Compiling IASL out/src/fw/ssdt-pcihp.hex

[...]

Compilation complete. 0 Errors, 0 Warnings, 0 Remarks, 2 Optimizations
   Generating offset file out/asm-offsets.h
   Compiling (16bit) out/romlayout.o
In file included from src/romlayout.S:9:0:
src/config.h:4:22: fatal error: autoconf.h: No such file or directory
compilation terminated.
make: *** [out/romlayout.o] Error 1
make: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
ASL Input:  out/src/fw/q35-acpi-dsdt.dsl.i - 515 lines, 28284 bytes, 413
keywords
AML Output: out/src/fw/q35-acpi-dsdt.aml - 7344 bytes, 239 named
objects, 174 executable opcodes

Compilation complete. 0 Errors, 0 Warnings, 0 Remarks, 445 Optimizations
   Build Kconfig config file
$

Best Regards,
Sebastian