[SeaBIOS] Searching for an MS-DOS CD driver

Gerd Hoffmann kraxel at redhat.com
Wed May 23 22:31:50 CEST 2012

  Hi,

>> I do not think there is any seabios problem.

Agree.

>> My current understanding is based on the following web page:
>>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/135174
>> My current understanding is the following:
>>   - Because the product key is on the HDD where W98SE is installed,
>>   - I have to boot from the HDD where W98SE is installed,
>>   - W98SE recognize a case of hardware upgrade,
>>   - it switch to MS-DOS mode, waiting for the upgrade command,
>>   - that is executing the the installation CD,
>>   - the current MSCDEX driver does not found the CD drive,
>> So:
>>   - I have to install a MSCDEX driver able to handle  QEMU/SeaBIOS
>>
>> -Nap
>
> That last part is what's confusing me.  QEMU should be adding a
> standard IDE cdrom.  That type of cdrom has been around for a long
> time.

dos is even older though, it used to *not* ship with a standard ide
cdrom driver. mscdex alone isn't enougth to make it fly, it is some kind
if "high level" driver (basically handles iso9660 filesystem I think)
which needs another one for the actual hardware access.

Best bet is to grab the one shipped with freedos these days I guess.

HTH,
  Gerd