[SeaBIOS] Searching for an MS-DOS CD driver

Kevin O'Connor kevin at koconnor.net
Wed May 23 14:23:25 CEST 2012

Re-adding the mailing list.

On Wed, May 23, 2012 at 01:21:47PM +0200, nap wrote:
> Le 23/05/2012 02:51, Kevin O'Connor a écrit :
> > On Tue, May 22, 2012 at 11:30:54PM +0200, nap wrote:
> >> My old W98SE box has died of a rough handling, but the HDD has survived
> >> the crash.
> >> For continuity of service and fun, I have chosen to try to use QEMU,
> >> with SeaBIOS.
> >> As a validation try, I have created an image of FreeDOS1.1 without any
> >> problem.
> >> Next I booted an image of the HDD. All is going fine, but the MS-DOS of
> >> W98SE
> >> is not able to access the installation CD of W98SE needed to adjust to
> >> the new hardware configuration because of the absence of a proper driver.
> >> SeaBIOS is able to access a CD drive. So my question is:
> >> Do you know if there exist some MS-DOS W98SE CD driver using the SeaBIOS
> >> CD service ?
> >>
> >> Configuration:
> >> Asrock H77M+G840+8Go, Gentoo/Linux stable amd64 (x86_64) Gnome
> >> qemu-kvm-1.0.1
> >
> > I'm not that familiar with DOS drivers.  You could try asking on the
> > freedos mailing list.  You could also try running seabios with
> > "-chardev stdio,id=seabios -device
> > isa-debugcon,iobase=0x402,chardev=seabios" and see if any interesting
> > debug messages come up.  Finally, one could recompile seabios with
> > higher debug levels to try and track down which calls aren't working
> > (if you suspect msdos should be seeing the cdrom).
> >
> > -Kevin
> >

> I do not think there is any seabios problem.
>
> My current understanding is based on the following web page:
> > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/135174
> My current understanding is the following:
>   - Because the product key is on the HDD where W98SE is installed,
>   - I have to boot from the HDD where W98SE is installed,
>   - W98SE recognize a case of hardware upgrade,
>   - it switch to MS-DOS mode, waiting for the upgrade command,
>   - that is executing the the installation CD,
>   - the current MSCDEX driver does not found the CD drive,
> So:
>   - I have to install a MSCDEX driver able to handle  QEMU/SeaBIOS
>
> -Nap

That last part is what's confusing me.  QEMU should be adding a
standard IDE cdrom.  That type of cdrom has been around for a long
time.

You might want to try with just qemu (instead of kvm).  Also, if you
still can't figure it out, you could try posting your command line and
the debug log produced by the commands I sent above.  The folks on the
qemu list may be able to help as well.