[SeaBIOS] POST Memory Manager emulation in SeaBIOS

Darmawan Salihun darmawan.salihun at gmail.com
Sat Oct 15 10:38:27 CEST 2011

On 10/13/11, Kevin O'Connor <kevin at koconnor.net> wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 13, 2011 at 12:18:08AM +0700, Darmawan Salihun wrote:
>> On 10/11/11, Kevin O'Connor <kevin at koconnor.net> wrote:
>> > I suggest getting serial debugging working, and post the full log.
>>
>> The full log is in the attachment.
>> Anyway, I observed that the PCI ROM that I'm working with
>> always got it's 3rd byte set to zero prior to being executed.
>> I've just found where it's being modified but have yet to find
>> the corresponding code in the entire "debugging system"
>
> SeaBIOS wont modify the rom.  However, the rom might self-modify
> itself when it is run.
>
> [...]
>> Real mode stub @00000600: 606 bytes
>> Calling Option ROM...
>> oprom: INT# 0x10
>
> If you are using SeaBIOS, you should instruct coreboot to not execute
> option roms.  Disable both CONFIG_VGA_ROM_RUN and CONFIG_PCI_ROM_RUN.
> (If both coreboot and seabios run the roms, it can confuse the
> hardware.)

This is the culprit which causes the ROM bytes to be modified.
Disabling both  CONFIG_VGA_ROM_RUN and CONFIG_PCI_ROM_RUN fixes it,
no more modified PCI ROM bytes when SeaBIOS executes the ROM.

>> Copying option rom (size 72192) from 0xfe020000 to c9000
>> Running option rom at c900:0003
>> pnp call arg1=60
>> pmm call arg1=0
>> pmm00: length=8000 handle=ffffffff flags=6
>> pmm call arg1=2
>> pmm02: buffer=7f00000
>> pmm call arg1=0
>> pmm00: length=10000 handle=ffffffff flags=6
>
> I guess the boot hangs at this point?

Well, not exactly. It was a break point in IDA Pro that stops the
execution there.
Anyway, the log above was for a gPXE ROM which I don't know exactly.
It seems "bundled" with SeaBIOS or Coreboot.
The log for my target option ROM was inadvertently not included.
Here it is:
------------
Searching CBFS for prefix genroms/
Copying data 24063 at 0xfffd5278 to 157696 at 0x000c9800
Searching CBFS for prefix genroms/
Searching bootorder for: /pci at i0cf8/*@3
Registering bootable: gPXE (PCI 00:03.0) (type:128 prio:104 data:c9000336)
Searching bootorder for: /rom at genroms/modd000.rom
Registering bootable: Legacy option rom (type:129 prio:9999 data:c9800003)
Press F12 for boot menu.

Checking for bootsplash
Searching CBFS for prefix bootsplash.jpg
Mapping cd drive 0x000fdb10
Mapping hd drive 0x000fdb40 to 0
drive 0x000fdb40: PCHS=20/16/63 translation=none LCHS=20/16/63 s=20480
Running option rom at c980:0003
pmm call arg1=0
pmm00: length=1000 handle=ffffffff flags=1
pnp call arg1=50

The target option ROM always loaded at C980:0000h
As you can see, it calls PMM once above.

> BTW, is this a gPXE rom?  It seems to follow a similar pattern of
> allocating, deallocating, and then allocating a larger chunk.

Nope. The gPXE was not the target PCI option ROM. See my comment above.

Thanks,

Darmawan