[SeaBIOS] POST Memory Manager emulation in SeaBIOS

Kevin O'Connor kevin at koconnor.net
Thu Oct 13 03:41:40 CEST 2011

On Thu, Oct 13, 2011 at 12:18:08AM +0700, Darmawan Salihun wrote:
> On 10/11/11, Kevin O'Connor <kevin at koconnor.net> wrote:
> > I suggest getting serial debugging working, and post the full log.
>
> The full log is in the attachment.
> Anyway, I observed that the PCI ROM that I'm working with
> always got it's 3rd byte set to zero prior to being executed.
> I've just found where it's being modified but have yet to find
> the corresponding code in the entire "debugging system"

SeaBIOS wont modify the rom.  However, the rom might self-modify
itself when it is run.

[...]
> Real mode stub @00000600: 606 bytes
> Calling Option ROM...
> oprom: INT# 0x10

If you are using SeaBIOS, you should instruct coreboot to not execute
option roms.  Disable both CONFIG_VGA_ROM_RUN and CONFIG_PCI_ROM_RUN.
(If both coreboot and seabios run the roms, it can confuse the
hardware.)

> Copying option rom (size 72192) from 0xfe020000 to c9000
> Running option rom at c900:0003
> pnp call arg1=60
> pmm call arg1=0
> pmm00: length=8000 handle=ffffffff flags=6
> pmm call arg1=2
> pmm02: buffer=7f00000
> pmm call arg1=0
> pmm00: length=10000 handle=ffffffff flags=6

I guess the boot hangs at this point?

BTW, is this a gPXE rom?  It seems to follow a similar pattern of
allocating, deallocating, and then allocating a larger chunk.