[OpenBIOS] [Qemu-devel] CUDA has problems with Mac OS 10.4

BALATON Zoltan balaton at eik.bme.hu
Thu Nov 12 00:14:57 CET 2015

On Wed, 11 Nov 2015, Programmingkid wrote:
> On Nov 11, 2015, at 4:32 PM, Andreas Tobler wrote:
>>> It looks like you are saying you wish to keep the CUDA device. Mac OS 9 is most
>>> likely hard coded to expect via-pmu instead of via-cuda on the mac99 target.
>>> Moving on to via-pmu might make QEMU more compatible with Mac OS 9.
>>> I will still try your patches. Do you have a repo that I could just clone? It is a
>>> lot less error prone than patches.
>>
>> I'd like to keep the CUDA too, FreeBSD PowerPC (32-bit) relies on it. Unfortunately it still doesn't work ... but hope is still here ;)
>
> On a new world Mac? I'm thinking a mistake has been made. Maybe you mean
> via-pmu? According to FreeBSD's website all Macintoshes with a built-in
> USB port are supported. This would only mean new world Macs and they
> only have a via-pmu - no cuda device.

I think you are right that mac99 should have via-pmu instead of cuda but
it is not as simple as renaming it in the device tree because it is a
different chip which we have no emulation for so first an emulation should
be written. It is probably similar enough to cuda so using cuda instead
works as long as the OS in only using the main functions. It is also hard
to find a documentation on how via-pmu should behave. I've only found
this:

http://mcosre.sourceforge.net/docs/apple_io.html

which is not very clear or detailed. The only hint from it was that pmu99
uses gpio which I've seen OS-es try to access but I don't know anything on
that or what should be emulated for it.

>> Mark, is your complete qemu patch available somewhere? Then I could test 32-bit PowerPC on FreeBSD which still hangs on adb... up to now.
>
> I'm thinking removing ADB support would fix this problem. Most real new world Macs have no ADB support.

This may be a good idea to match the hardware we are trying to emulate
better but some OSes may depend on ADB for now. I've noticed Finnix had no
keyboard in debug mode without ADB (which may be a bug in Finnix, I could
not verify if it works on real hardware or has the same problem there).

Regards,
BALATON Zoltan